At Downs View we are committed to developing a deep, long-term, secure and adaptable understanding of the subject of Maths for our pupils.
- Through the delivery of a recovery maths curriculum which is innovative, cumulative and personalised in order to meet the needs of pupils following the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Through the development of children’s fluency within mathematical concepts in order for children to recall and apply facts.
- By fostering a love and confidence of maths which allows children to reason mathematically.
- By enabling children to have the tools to apply their knowledge and solve mathematical problems.
- By allowing children the time to fully understand and explore concepts before rushing on to another concept.
- Children are encouraged to physically represent mathematical concepts through objects and pictures. Through this they explore abstract ideas, numbers and symbols.
- Mathematical concepts are explored in a variety of representations and problem-solving contexts to give pupils richer and deeper learning experiences.
- Children develop a secure foundation of knowledge in the key area of number and are able to apply this across other mathematical concepts.
- Children develop a mastery of maths rather than a short term ability to answer questions in a test.
- Children are able to represent a mathematical concept in multiple ways, using correct mathematical language to communicate related ideas and independently apply the concept to new concepts.
- Children enjoy maths and can succeed in the next stage of their school life.